Winter is almost here and the days are getting shorter. But the book room is bright and cheerful because it is full of great books. This is a great time to get kids reading so we encourage you to get books to give your kids during the short days and the long vacations.
This is also the time of year when we ask for your help. Last year, we were able to give away 250,000 books for less than $25,000. We spent $12,000 on rent and $11,000 on book purchases last year. So, we know how much money we need to raise.We have two great new fundraisers starting now.
The Peet’s in Montclair Village is doing another great fundraiser for us. They promise to match all donations up to $750. Our last Peet’s fundraiser in Fruitvale earned us several thousand dollars.
And of course you can always donate in person, by mail or online.
Here is a reminder of who we are and what we do.
• We are an all volunteer run 501(c)3 dedicated to improving literacy by getting books to kids who need them.
• We get no government or corporate funding so we survive on private donations.
• We only give children’s books to adults who work in schools or other non-profits.
• We cannot allow children in the building. It is not safe and our insurance does not cover them.
• Almost all books are donated so we cannot promise specific titles and need to set limits on what you may take.
• We will not let anyone in after 5:45 since it takes a while to choose books and sign in and out.
• Please bring boxes or bags for your books. We do not always have them available.
We are open every Tuesday and Thursday from 3-6 PM.
We will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday:
Closed Tuesday, November 24th & Thursday, November 26th.
If you have books to donate, please call us at 510-408-7323.
Our address is:
955 12th St, Oakland, 94607
Please remember to bring boxes and bags for your books.